This functionality was a breakthrough in the automotive industry and was soon adopted by almost all the European countries and even others too which included Albania, Argentina, Russia, Uruguay, Iceland, etc.
In the world, at present, there are two different beam patterns and also headlight construction standards (the structure of the light which we will talk about it later). There are two standards of headlight:
- ECE Standards
- SAE Standards
ECE Standards: The ECE standards are mandatory in almost all the industrialized nations except the USA. SAE standards are only in the USA and nowhere else in the world.
SAE Standards: The SAE Standards are only in the USA and nowhere else in the world.
Comparison Between SAE & ECE Standards
- The intensity of glare which is being emitted by the headlights.
- In, SAE, the glare is required less, and in ECE, the glare is expected a bit more.
The low beams under the ECE standards are characterized by a horizontal cutoff line on the top of the beam imparted by the headlights. This can be observed in the dark as below the line it is bright and above it is dark.
Halogen Headlights for Cars
The side beams are placed according to the left or the right depending on the car and the region the car was designed to be generally is dedicated to direct the beam of light onto the pedestrians and road signs for better visibility.
On the other hand the SAE standards have no cutoff factor in their low beams but even if it were to be present then it would be further classified into VOL which is similar to that found on the ECE standards beam but the cutoff is placed on the top left side of the beam and is directed slightly below the horizontal. The second classification is VOR which has its cutoff at the top right side of the imparted beam and aimed directly towards the horizon.
Ever since the Advent of headlights the perspective of a headlight was understood but the factor of giving what color of light was yet to be decided and also was a challenge to decide what color gave the brightest shade of light on the darkest roads.
Primary Functions Of Headlights
Headlights are required to produce white lights and are mandatory in the both the ECE and SAE standards. Mainly all the countries in the world generally demand white lights on their cars as they have more penetration power and can also make it visible to the naked eye to see through the darkest of the area with ease or without any trouble at all.
In the early days, the headlights imparted a yellow color light which was not bad but not that effective also. Different parts of the world have various types of light color depending on the region and nation. Choosing the best headlight bulbs that can be very simple & easy way to higher light output for the brighter bulbs, so that it is more important to brighter bulbs that might to be the more intensity to the headlight bulbs.
This is due to the climatic or natural conditions of a particular area. Some areas also demand a very special set of characteristics on a car. Monaco is a very good example of this as it is required to have a yellow light with low beams along with fog lamps nothing but DRL and high beam lights. But the major challenge to gain more intensity from the headlights and for better functionality was its placement on the car which resulted in sound beams or just couldn't help the driver see what's happening right in front of him. It the positioning of the headlights depends from place to place. Either the ECE and SAE standards have different regulations for the nation’s or regions that are being controlled by them.
In the ECE standards ( in the USA ) it is required to have headlights of a particular height such that it is visible for one n all and also enables everyone to see clearly what is in front of them and around.
Depending on the car there is a fixed height at which the headlights is to be positioned and also at what angle should it be imparting the beam on the roads. But generally, all the beacons are placed in a particular way that the area in front of them is visible and not much is seen ( because all the lights are in low beam light and only on high beam turn on the intensity increases and the distance covered is rapidly more ).
The positioning and the correct angle of the headlights favor for a better result in both coverage and visibility. But as the days went by many different kinds of lights hit the market and created a revolution in the automotive industry.
If study all of the various types would take forever but to understand the basic set up and physical breakdown of a headlight is interesting. A standard light consists of headlight housing and bulbs.
Different types Of Headlights: LED vs HID vs HALOGEN
Headlight housing is the place where the lamp resides. The term housing is used so as to indicate that the bulb which powers the entire headlight lives in the housing which also enables in the maximum intensity and brightness of the light along with beautiful beam patterns capable of covering long distances with ease. The lights are classified into two types namely reflectors and projector. Ever since the Advent of lights, reflectors are the once which are used and also very efficient at the time of its discovery. It may be not in function nowadays but sure is a remarkable piece of engineering. The headlight is generally mounted in the front which is flat and surrounding with a chrome plated object which generally reflects the light back on the road.
The build which is placed in the housing is actually covered with a chrome plated piece which is a safety measure as this prevents the bulb from blinding the drivers on the oncoming side of the road and also to control the beam pattern of the headlight. The other kind is projectors.
LED vs HID vs HALOGEN COMPARISON VIDEO HERE:
Automotive Industry of LED headlights for cars
These are the latest advents in the automotive industry as the words literally give their function which is to project light on the road. The bulb here is similar to that of the reflector housing but consists of a projector bowl. This generally reflects all the light towards the magnified projector lens in the housing which is chrome plated for obvious reasons.The light then hits the house, and after it hits the housing, it impacts the light onto the road which is shaped in the pattern of the housing. These are customizable and are removable too. Not the entire headlight but only the build and can be suited to retrofit to your particular Tate in color and intensity.
Generally, these are being used more in the current generation as they provide a sharp cutoff line and also have a Superior output with high focused light. Then we come down to bulbs which are the main part of the headlight without which headlights wouldn't function at all. The Advent of the bulb paved way for many new greater inventions and also has seen a diverse change in the bulb industry and creating a lot more of cheaper, brighter bulbs than the ones which were made in the earlier days.
LED Driving Lights for Cars
A light emitting diode (LED) is a semiconducting device which consists of two lead strips and is a source of emitting light. There is a junction known as a p-n junction which emits light when activated. LED's are the most recent of discoveries that have to place in the headlight industry. They are tiny and yet very efficient and doesn't cost much to make too.
They are small in size making them very easy to bend and shape them into any form which makes them perfect for using them on headlights. They have come from a long way from just being used as small indicating lights. They are used everywhere from televisions to laptops and also play a fundamental role in the mobile industry also.
Working of LED lights
The working of LED's is really simple and easy. When a suitable voltage of particular frequency is applied, the electrons recombine with the electron holes within the device to release photons of desired quantity depending on the voltage that has been implemented as well as the excitation of photons.
This effect is known as electroluminescence and the color of the light entirely is based upon the photons released as well as the energy bandgap of the semiconductor. LED's are typically small and are used in the shape of the radiation pattern. Even when the necessary voltage is provided the LED's may not shine or rise up to their expected brightness but with a bit of tweak here and there they sure are efficient and user-friendly in all ways. LED's hit the max brightness with a millionth of a second when compared to HID and halogen headlights.
Uses of LED lights
This is the main reason that LED are used in the brake lights of vehicle's and is proven to be much more useful as it improved the reaction time for hitting the brakes on the road by more than 30%. This is something remarkable and on top of this, the LED's used in a car is more likely to withstand 15000 hours of headlight use. In just a few word's say that there are pros & cons of Led Headlight:
In, the developments in the ballast designs have paved the way for it to detect the phenomenon of cycling and stop the attempts after 2-3 tries but if you take out the weight and try to start it again from the circuit, it'll make the same efforts all over again to switch on the HID. But the major factor for its lifespan is its operation and the way it is being operated.
Depending on it's turning on/off manufacturers claim to have 2500 hours on HID headlights which are more than that of the halogen lights. But If you are using a HID, and want to replace it then there are some product recommendation for you.
kensun hid kit for cars
- If you opt for a HID kit, kensuns HID kit is the best in the league and also really efficient. Not only is it efficient but also it is cheaper and available in 12 different color temperatures.
- They come as low as $30 but the premium ones start at $60 which is pretty reasonable.
- They are various other options out there much more expensive but will last you longer days and also have a better intensity of light output ratio than the intake.
- When u buys the kensun HID kit, it comes with 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts which are all stored in a cool aluminum case.
- The lights a pre-wired which help in easy installation of the kit and also no issues are caused which installing the equipment.
- The kit also comes with a 2-year warranty and also with a lifetime of more than 10 times of a halogen bulb.
- HID are very useful for various applications and also have a high-intensity output which means to say that HID's generally are slow in the beginning in producing light but in the long run, they are the brightest and also the very best in their game.
The problem in the early stages of the automotive industry was the energy which needed to available for the efficiency of the vehicle at a cars disposal was quite a feat to conquer and overcome. So the engineers sought through many solutions for this and came and settled down with tungsten filaments which were similar to the ones found in the household incandescent bulbs.
These are still in operation ever since their application in 1960's as they are placed in a bubble shaped headlight to improve performance and longevity of the light. These are the traditional and cheap costing lighting options as they continue to be widely fitted in vehicles all throughout the world in almost every automotive machine out there. There are plenty of ways to which it can be upgraded such as to install brighter bulbs of the same kind which offers between 30%-100% more light than the ones which were already installed. Installation of energy saving light bulbs which paved the way for longer life spans and also they kept and reduced quite a lot of energy.
Adding some personal touch of xenon to the lamp which gave out a bluish tint to the light which only is meant for cosmetic or customization purposes in vehicles.
functioning of halogen headlight
These bulbs are widely used, but because of their ability to produce a significant amount of heat and also deposit skin moisture on the bulbs can reduce their functionality and also their performance depending on the skin moisture accumulated. The halogen lamp is also known as a quartz iodine bulb.
- The combination of halogen with tungsten paved way for it to produce halogen cycle which performed as a redepositing cycle of the evaporated tungsten onto the filament back again.
- This resulted in it longitivity and also gave out a clearer brightness. Because of this feature, it can operate at high temperature without any sort of discomfort than that of a standard glass filled bulb producing light of cooler temperatures and higher luminosity.
- The compact size of the bulbs helps it to be placed in the projector and in the headlights of vehicles.
Today in the world about 90% of the cars which run on the road consist of halogen bulbs fitted into their headlights. But this is not a new Innovation but ever since the Advent of cars the technology has been refined through ages to smoke it more and more efficient.
When the halogen bulb emits light it tends to emit light as well as a lot of heat which results in the untouchability of it when it switched on. This was a problem which had to be brought under control and could lead to several different kinds of accidents.
Specifications of halogen lights
- The halogen bulb has only 2%-4% efficiency. All this is because the amount of power emitted by a lamp is lesser than the electrical energy drawn.
- In the world many regions allow halogen bulb to function in the cars. They usually perform in the range of 50W-60W.
- This range is entirely based on the power emitted by the bulb when compared to the power intake of the bulb. Well, what makes this bulb sell more and more is its simplicity in its function and durability in nature.
They have simple and straightforward wiring which keeps the bulbs steady and rigid and free from any complex errors as of such. Even if nothing holes mainly the tungsten filaments might be damaged which can be replaced. Hence it gives a real cost-free experience for one n all.
Some insight into how the halogen bulb is so famous, there are few bulbs which exhibit excellent high performance for a fraction of the price and have a long lasting nature. First, it's the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra and the second namely Philip's Xtreme vision.
Sylvania silver star ultra halogen bulbs
- Sylvania is a US based company which is dominating the market with its high-performance products are very affordable rates.
- They make various kinds of light products and supply it directly to the car manufacturers acting like original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
- They have a high value in the business world, and also their products have the tendency to last longer without any damage at all.
- One of their products is the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra which is the highest performer in their range of products and with the cheapest of price tags.
Backup Hour: 200hr
Output: 4100K Light
- The majority of the customers coming hat it has a very short life span for the price they have to pay. Another company which is renowned for its outstanding products and services is Philips.
- Phillips X-treme vision is one of the product from Philips which is leading their halogen bulb product line.
- Philips is also known as the Giants in electronic consumer gadgets, their products are more durable and robust in the given scenario.
Much like Sylvania, they offer a lot more range in their halogen bulb line across the market in the world. The advertisement for the X-treme has stated that it is 130% times brighter than the typical halogen bulb and has a 45m distance of coverage in total. Along with all this comes the price which is priced at about $24 backed up with a 1-year warranty.
Along with all this Philips claims it to have a lifespan of around 320 hours. It is not bad when compared to the Sylvania but has a power intake of about 55W and has a much yellower output at only 3700k. Clearly, the Philips bulb is better and cheaper than the Sylvania and has a better customer rating at about 4.1 stars. The Philips has a much yellower lighting which is less bright than the Sylvania and also has a shorter life span which customers complained about.
Conclusion-which one to choose: LED vs HID vs Halogen headlight
- About the above context, the LED and HID are the ones dominating the market and also possess a wider chance of growth in their domains.
- In this current situation, the HID's are favored more as they have a brighter output and less intake when compared to the LED and halogens.
- Halogens are the preferred bulbs used in almost all the current automotive industry making it widely available and cheaper to use.
- The LED's, on the other hand, is for aesthetic purposes and also helps in making it classier and brighter than the other two.
Having its compact nature and high beam intensity, no wonder car manufacturers look at working with LED more than any other form of light.
- HID's and LED's are far off the game with their luminous intensity of light and long lasting features, but all this comes at a price, but when compared to halogens it is cheap and cost free as everything is straightforward and nothing that complicated when compared to LEDs and HID's.
But at times LED's and HID's sure do possess threats of self-distraction over a particular usage and don't allow many people to use them but instead, prefer halogen. But at the end of the day, LED's are better, but everything comes at a price and also doesn't ensure it's working after a particular point of time.
When it comes to HID's, it's the same thing over here where everything comes at a risk. If taken care of it will fit action for an extended period but has to maintain in top condition for longer usage. But these are a bit cheaper and can be used on a regular basis but only with proper care.
- Halogens in the last are the oldest form of producing light on a car. In recent times much advancement in technology has paved the way for making it the best source of light for a headlight.
- It’s due to its overheating nature, and also its short life span it falls and fails to impress many. But due to its simplicity, it seems more and also because of its robust nature and also it's dynamic coverage of distance it sure is the one chalice for people looking for cheap, bright and quite an average short span of a light source.
Thus, everything is great and bad on one the or the other, and it entirely is based on one's preference whether or not to choose from LED's, HID's or halogens for their headlights.