Given that both Sylvania Silverstar and Sylvania Xtravision are manufactured by the same company, it is difficult to say that one product will have better quality than the other. In terms of quality, we can rule out the comparison. So deciding factors essentially boil down to the other key aspects. Let us explore them one by one.
Both are halogen bulbs.High-intensity discharge bulbs are considered superior to halogen bulbs. Both SilverStar and Xtravision do not come under the category of high-intensity discharge bulbs. Although this serves as a disadvantage in terms of headlights, you should not be too concerned as it is a comparison between two halogen headlights. Halogen bulbs are the traditional type of filament bulbs. They still work well, and you’re not going to have much trouble with either one of these, but you don’t gain the advantage the new HID styles offer.
Lumen: There are standards that indicate headlights should have only so much amount of intensity. The standards are determined by ECE and SAE. ECE standards are mandatory in almost all industrialized countries except the USA. The SAE standards are mandatory only in the USA. Abiding by the standards of ECE and SAE both Sylvania headlights have only a 1000 lumens.
Dimming: Both lights dim with time, but that is a given for any headlight.
Now we can get to the actual comparison part:
The following factors will clearly show which way to go:
Cost: Xtravision is obviously the winner here. We can buy Xtravision for $20 a pair. Silverstar costs around $30 for two bulbs.
Life:Silverstar is said to lasts for about 650 hours. Xtravision lasts for about 850 hours. The longevity was checked by users who installed Silverstar in one of the headlight and Xtravision in the other. Silverstar blue out 2 months before Xtravision. Xtra-vision is also the winner here.
Colour Temperature:Why is color temperature so important? Color temperature in lighting refers to the tone of “white” light that is emitted from a light source. Light of color temperature higher than 6000k would be unpleasant to eyes of drivers and pedestrian. Moreover, under foggy or rainy days, the penetrating power of high color temperature light will be weakened, which is bad for driving safety. When purchasing headlight, you need also pay attention to the color temperature value.The color temperature of Silverstar is 4000k while Xtravision comes little lower at 3200K. This makes Silverstar the better headlight.
User reviews of Xtravision & sylvania headlight
One user said that "The Xtravision lights up a wider area and looks brighter".
- Another user says, “I put in the brighter XtraVision bulbs from Sylvania. These lights provided more lighting than the Silverstars, however, they don't have that nice WHITE look to them. I will say though, they've been in for about 2.5 years and are still going strong.”
- Still another:“I had 9006 silver stars in my last truck. They were still going when I sold it and I think they had been in for about 2.5 years. This is a Canadian truck and so they doubled as DRL's, they were on every second the truck was on. I had no complaints.”
- Another User review:“I've tried Sylvania Silverstars and Sylvania XtraVisions in my 99 Miata. The difference between the Silverstars and the XtraVision is negligible.
- Though I still have the Silverstars, I keep the XtraVision in the headlights.”
- Users who have tested out both Silverstar and Xtravision concluded that Silverstar while giving more whiter light costs more than Xtravision. Xtravision lasts longer than Silverstar.
It ultimately comes down to your choice between the life of the headlight, cost and the colour temperature. If you are a person who seldom uses their car at night, then you can probably go for Xtravision. On the other hand, if you are a person who uses the car much during the night then you should go for Silverstar but they wear out and you have to replace the Silverstar headlights more often than you want. But Silverstar gives you more visibility compared to Xtravision which ultimately is more important for safety. Also if you prefer a “whiter” headlight then you should definitely buy Sylvania Silverstar.
Based on the above review, you can make an informed decision as to which headlight to buy.